Malwarebytes offers a number of great protections in all security tools. Its main suite, called Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, is currently one of the most popular anti-malware solutions on the market. However, some users find it difficult to launch and access the tool because Malwarebytes does not open. This is probably a virus issue where malicious software blocks the execution of anti-malware executables. Be sure to check the solutions to this problem below.
- What to do if Malwarebytes Anti-Malware does not open
- How to Disable Malwarebytes
- Rename mbam.exe to explorer.exe
- Run Malwarebytes Chameleon
- Run Malwarebytes as administrator
- Try running Malwarebytes in safe mode.
- Reinstall Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
Solution 1: Rename mbam.exe to explorer.exe
Let’s start with the solution found on the official forum. Some users were able to get the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware package, starting by renaming the executable. Evil beings are likely to prevent its execution.
You must have administrator privileges to rename this file. After successfully launching Malwarebytes, run a scan to get the default executable name. This should work.
The entire procedure in several steps is shown below.
- C: Go to Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Program Files.
- Then Right-click on mbam.exe and after that select Rename from the context menu.
- Rename mbam.exe to explorer.exe and run it.
Solution 2: Run Malwarebytes Chameleon
Malwarebytes Chameleon can be safely used in these undesired scenarios where Malwarebytes cannot be started. This built-in utility is there to launch Malwarebytes if it fails in the usual way. If you cannot start applying the standard method (from the shortcut or notification icon), this tool should work correctly. Perform a detailed scan as soon as the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware package is launched.
Normally, you only need to do this once. When Malwarebytes removes the threat, everything should be back to normal.
Here’s how to run Malwarebytes Chameleon:
- Open Start and scroll down to Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
- Expand Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
- Select Tools, then Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Chameleon.
- You should see a promoted DOS window, press Enter to continue.
- This will automatically open and update the stable version of the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware suite.
- Look for malware immediately and restart your PC later.
Solution 3-Run Malwarebytes as administrator
This is a widespread solution, especially since most users are already running the system under an administrator account. However, if this is not the case (more common in earlier Windows iterations), it is recommended that you run the application with administrator privileges.
To run Malwarebytes Anti-Malware permanently as an administrator:
- Go to Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Program Files.
- Right-click on mbam.exe and select Properties from the context menu.
- Open the Compatibility tab.
- Select the Run this program as administrator checkbox to see your changes.
Solution 4: Try running Malwarebytes in safe mode.
As you probably already understand, the main goal here is to run Malwarebytes once. The tool then removes all threats, including those that prevent it from working. Another way to do that while avoiding third-party coercion is to use the network to boot into a safe mode system. This greatly limits malicious software and allows Malwarebytes to be launched without serious future problems.
When you see the Windows logo at startup, press and hold the power button until your PC shuts down.
Turn on your PC and repeat the procedure three times. When you start your PC for the fourth time, the Advanced Recovery menu will be displayed.
- Select Troubleshooting.
- Select Advanced Options>Startup Settings.
- Click Reboot.
- Select Safe Mode on your network from the list.
- Launch Malwarebytes and search for malware.
- Then restart your PC and see if Malwarebytes starts.
Solution 5-Reinstall Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
Finally, if none of the above solutions worked, a clean reinstall should fix the problem. After Removing Malwarebytes Anti-Malware from your PC, download and install the latest version. Remember to keep your credentials so that you can activate them immediately.
Follow steps to reinstall Malwarebytes Anti-Malware on your PC.
- Type Control in the Windows search bar to open the Control Panel.
- Select “Uninstall a program”.
- Uninstall Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
- Please refer here to download the latest version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
Adjusting the context menu is easy. Don’t forget to create a restore point as trying to edit the registry will delete the copy of the program files as it can make your work on your PC unstable. If the right mouse button does not open the context menu, follow the steps above and apply all the methods to fix the Malwarebytes popup won’t go away.